Monday, March 31, 2008

Christchurch, New Zealand - A New England?

I arrived in Christchurch yesterday, geographically on the other side of the world to England and wondered immediately if I had accidentally landed in Cambridge or Canterbury. The temperature was lower (16deg), it was overcast, and there was a real feeling of England here- an Anglican cathedral, statues of Victoria, Scott of the Antarctic and Captain Cook, cricket pitches and even punting down the river amongst weeping willows- it was all too familiar! I even asked for Vegemite and toast and got Marmite!

I'm here for 2 nights awaiting my pickup with a tour company called 'Stray', which promises to take me off the beaten track and show me the 'real' New Zealand.. along with the 100 or so others taking the same route! Still, it will be a good way to meet new people along the way and get involved in some activities.. not too sure about bungee yet though! On the down side, I'm back in dorms again, roughing it after the fantastic place I had all to myself in Sydney, thanks to my Cousin's parents in law!

No comments: